Thursday, August 28, 2008

Tidewater Potomac - Days 5-6

Wednesday

The hotel staff finally ran me out of the hotel at noon. Sigh. Another late start, but with clean clothes.I decid;ed to do laundry, and that gave me more time to work on the blog, catch up on email, etc.

After two hours on the road today I started running out of steam, and the chilly, overcast, on-again off-again rain, and more family drama didn't improve my morale. Towards the end of the day I decided to short-cut around part of the published route and head for a hotel. After comparing the three motels grouped near a major intersection along the ride, all of which were very old, what I think of as 1950's style motels (single story with two great "wings" of rooms extending away from an office with plenty of parking in front of each room), I decided on one that seemed the most well kept. These places were all pretty run down and did a lot of weekly/monthly rentals. It reminded me of some of the older military housing I occasionally stayed in when I was traveling in the Air Force.

56 Miles

Thursday

I got up and out of the hotel in fairly good time this morning and pedaled on in the rain. Not occasional showers like yesterday, but a good steady downpour and nice and cool too! Not that I'm complaining. Like yesterday I started feeling fatigued again after twenty miles or so (although not so bad as yesterday) and decided to take another short-cut around one of the scenic loops of the ride then checked into a hotel in Indian Head, where I'm now doing laundry again and drying out my shoes and just taking the afternoon off.

Tomorrow I ride to DC and there isn't much opportunity for short-cutting, so I'm hoping to get plenty of energy back today!

39 Miles









No comments: