Monday, August 4, 2008

Day 3 - Ashland to Richmond (The offsite begins)

21 Miles The Route

It was a pleasant and short ride from Ashland down to Richmond, gradually becoming more urban and congested. When I checked into the hotel they didn't want me to take my bike upstairs to the room, insisting instead that I "secure it" with the bell staff. I left it locked in their utility room while I went upstairs to drop my bags in the room. I later came back down and took it up to my room.

The conference started today with an hour-long session at 4 pm followed by an invitation to the hospitality suite. Everyone received a portfolio with a differently colored name tag which will be used to determine breakout group membership. Rich made introductory remarks followed by Joe who talked about the mission of the VA and the IG and the various directorates within the IG and how the IG is important to the veterans we serve and how we are important to the IG, saying that "We have an unsung role, but an indespensible role". It's true...I can drink that Koolaide.

We concluded by dropping our names into a basket that Jennifer carried around the room. She gave a pen to everyone who dropped their nametag into a basket. Then the basket was passed again and we had to pick a name and repick if necessary to get the name of someone we didn't know well. Our mission for tomorrow is to introduce the person whose name we picked. The meeting broke up with us all racing around trying to meet and interview our subjects.

Memorable Quotes
"We are the pimple on the elephant's rear end." -- Joe
"Young Joe Vallowe is ready, willing and able to take over and will do an outstanding job." -- Rich, talking about his planned departure early next year.

Cellphone rings during the presentations: 2

No comments: