Thursday, August 7, 2008

Day 6 - Presentations (Riverside Ride)

17 Miles The Route

The teams presented our customer service and business process improvement suggestions this morning, followed by Jon Wooditch giving an interesting presentation of the history of 53, highlighting the idea that we're constantly changing. Someone passed me a note with something like "translation: stop complaining about BPD".

I think all of the presentations referenced the SharePoint in some way. I think I heard both yesterday and today a universal desire to have a service directory of some kind on the portal, which is great. I've been thinking about how best to start that. We of course started the OIG Services directory some time ago, but I think we need something more structured. I should have plenty of time to think about it on the way home...tomorrow.

Several presentations from IT which were good but got way too technical for most everyone and I think left more people confused than enlightened. Not the speakers' fault...just impossible subject matter.

This afternoon was diversity which was very interesting. Diversity is no longer just about achieving racial integration in the workplace. It's all about integrating differences in culture, education, background, age, experience, etc. They played a very interesting video that made the business case for diversity, drew parallels from nature and presented success stories. Very good presentation.

Concluded the day with a video montage on VA wheel chair olympics which was very moving and really helped put a face on who we're ultimately working for.

I picked up my laundry today and was stunned at the price. $15 for wash & fold for two polo shirts, one pair of shorts, one pair of trousers and two briefs. I could have gotten that done at the hotel for about $20.

I've decided to bike back on the US 1 bike route. Part of my ride down turned out to be on the US 1 bike route, so I'll be going back over some of the same ground. I'm going to try to define the route and put it up in bikely.com because I'm having a hard time finding out what the actual route is.

For today's ride I decided to take the US 1 bike route south and see what it looked like and maybe try to put it into bikely.com as well. Turns out to be a very scenic ride. Pictures follow.







No comments: