Saturday, August 30, 2008

Tidewater Potomac - Day 7

Indian Head, MD to DC

It rained all the way to DC.

The good news was that I was feeling much less "washed out" than I had been for the last several days, to the point that I briefly considered riding all the way home.

Because of the rain, I simplified much of the route by simply riding up Route 210 and skipping some of the side roads. Just trying to read the map with fogged and rain-splattered glasses was a challenge.

I had a hard time with the directions getting into and out of Oxon Hill Farm park. While at the park (which was beautiful by the way...I had no idea it existed) I developed a "flapping" noise that correlated with my wheel rotation. I checked it out and discovered that about 12 inches of tread from my back tire has separated from teh tire and had wrapped itself around my rear sprocket. An inspection of the rear wheel revealed that the tread was loose all around the circumference of the tire. I rode on carefully only to have another strip peel off and get caught in the sprockets again. I stopped again, removed much of the loosest tread and proceeded with great caution.

Exiting the park I again had no clear idea which direction to travel. I don't know if I chose the wrong path through the park and was exiting at the wrong point, or whether I just failed to read the map correctly. After several exploratory starts down one street and another, ended up taking a wrong (but not bad) road up the wrong side of 295. After a few minutes I found myself at the southern entrance to Boling Air Force Base and, having an ID card, decided to go ahead and ride up through Bowling and Anacostia Naval Station to get to the Frederick Douglas bridge. I was stationed at Anacostia Naval Station for 13 or so years of my military career, so this was familiar territory.

I was apprehensive about the ride over the bridge until I spotted the pedestrian pathway on the south side of the bridge. I was quickly over the bridge and then down into National Stadium. Being familiar with DC, I abandoned the directions and made my own way to the US Capitol, down the mall, to the White House, to the Lincoln memorial and then across the memorial bridge. I rode north up the Washington parkway trail to Arlington then across the Key bridge into Georgetown where there is a bike shop. I had my rear tire replaced then rode back down the parkway to Crystal City for the night.

The weather put a damper on what was otherwise a great day of riding. Tomorrow, I ride home.

48 Miles






2 comments:

Yminmo said...

Hey Jeff - Your bike looks like a old friend posing for you in the photos. It sounds like you had a great time and your writing is fantastic! Photos were a nice humorous touch. Ride safely and keep up the blogging. Melissa & family

Walt said...

Found your blog from the Adventure Cycling journal index. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, despite some rain. I live in La Plata, MD, so if you or anyone else is doing this route we have accomodations available. I'm on the warm showers list.