Sunday, April 28, 2013

Goleta to Ventura

Goleta to Ventura
39 Miles (est)

Got a slow start this morning watching the Sunday morning news shows, logging in to work (which always takes like 20 minutes just to get the computer powered up and connected), and then finally as I'm pushing the bike out the door I noticed I had a flat. While fixing the flat I noticed a broken spoke. I got on the road and it was cloudy and foggy.

It's been that kind of a day.

I took an alternate route through most of Goleta (I stayed off-route last night), joining up with the route near Modoc Road, and it was very pleasant riding from here down to the waterfront in Santa Barbara. After the waterfront the went backroads to avoid the 101, some stretches more pleasant than others. When I got to Carpenteria I stopped at Rincon Cycles and got my spoke repaired, and then back on the road which eventually merged onto the 101.

Riding the 101 was not so pleasant...there are two lanes of traffic, a 2-foot wide bike lane immediately to the right of the right-most lane of traffic and then a shoulder of varying width with a lot of construction going on throughout this stretch. I can't quite figure out why they would put a bike lane immediately to the right of highway traffic and to the left of the shoulder as if it were some kind of residential area. I'm probably being a bit of a grumpy old man here (I'm kind of in that mood today), and I am happy to have the route at all, so let me not complain too much.

Rolled into Ventura an hour or two behind the fog. Rode to the hotel. Checked in. Done for today.



Bike trail in Goleta...very nice!



Beach at Santa Barbara




Bike trail paralleling the 101 (very noisy!)


On the shoulder of the 101...bike lane just to the left


No comments: