Monday, May 18, 2009

Ashburn, VA - Day 3

Sunday was long, wet and cold. It rained most of the day, which I don't mind TOO much except my glasses spot up and fog up and that gets annoying. I do have a tendency to overheat though, so the cold was refreshing and kept me going all day. The route went west towards Richmond and then more or less paralleled the Richmond beltway north. I had planned to try and camp at the Willis Road Church, but was feeling good when I got in the area, and was reluctant to spend my first night camping in the rain (I'm SUCH a creature of comfort...going to have to toughen up!). I decided to push on a few more miles to the Richmond airport where I found a cheap motel and took a long hot shower. This also set me up for teleworking first thing Monday morning.

18 Miles on Saturday - Yorktown to Williamsburg
66 Miles Sunday - Williamsburg to Richmond
34 Miles Monday - Richmond to Ashland

So this morning I got up and went to work! Broke out the laptop and connected easily and worked until noon. There was something...er...stabilizing about doing something familiar out here where I'm out here completely out of my context. I think I'm going to like staying connected to this part of my life throughout this trip.

At noon I packed up the laptop, checked out of the motel and hit the road. Chilly and very windy today! I was hoping to put in a solid 50 miles today, but a couple hours into the ride I knew it was not to be. No energy at all! I was expecting this. Given that I haven't trained much and did such a long leg on Sunday, I'm not surprised. I also remember this happening on my Tidewater-Potomac ride last year. So I'm not freaking out over it (yet).

So I rode into Ashland and found another cheap hotel (I'm camping tomorrow...for sure!) and have been busy recuperating again this evening. I'll get up and telework again tomorrow morning then try to ride 48 miles to Mineral, VA.

Oh, here's a map of the TransAmerica route:

No comments: